You May Be Able To Deduct The Cost Of Work-Related Education Expenses Paid During The Year

You may be able to deduct the cost of work-related education expenses paid during the year if you’re a:

Self-employed individual, Qualified performing artist Fee-based state or local government official, or Disabled individual with impairment-related education expenses To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves skills needed in your present work or (2) a law requires to keep your present salary, status or job.

However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education can’t be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your present trade or business.

Although the education must relate to maintain or improve skills needed in your present work, education expenses incurred during temporary absence from your work may also be deductible. After your temporary absence, you must return to the same general type of work.

Usually, absence from work for one year or less is considered temporary.

Expenses that you can deduct include:

Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees, and similar items

Certain transportation and travel costs, and

Other educational expenses, such as the cost of research and typing

Would you qualify for this deduction?



%d bloggers like this: